Friday, January 21, 2005

Humanitarian Motives

It is a wrong notion that social work is restricted to the dedicated volunteers of abbreviated NGO's.

Buying tickets for a movie is an extremely selfless humanitarian mission.(Volunteering to do so is also suicidal and stupid!!)

You have to come up with a movie which everyone likes , coordinate timings , buy tickets in anticipation that you will be payed for the tickets later (hahahaha).And the result is obvious..you FAIL and are blamed until the next time they want you to arrange one.

Imagine you & your friend are studying for some competitive exam and you decide that you should watch the new movie at Inox.

"It is a Thursday nite...We'll get tickets easily".I exclaimed.

"Ya , lets call up everyone"

"Well...Pratap...Not a good idea!!"

"Why?"

"Hmmm...You will call X and she will say 'I cant make it today...but I want to watch it desperately and all my other friends have already watched it.I missed it...please can we go tomm. nite?? Ask Y too'.
Then you call Y and he says
'I am game mann...but can we go for the E-Square 10:45 pm show ...that way I'll even pick my bike from my aunts place'
Then you call X again...
'Why cant Y make it tomm , I called up A & B...they are ready for tomm.'"

Pratap was convinced."Yaa...Then what do we do ?"

"Hmmm...Use the '10 minutes before' funda "

"??"

"We'll go for the movie & we'll happen to be near the theater 10 minutes before the show"

A few seconds later the plot dawned upon Pratap.

"Ohhhhhh...Mannn....!Superb...!"

(If I look really smart out here...That is about to change)

Then we watched the movie and Pratap is really happy !!

Next day we meet the gang...And Pratap is already a pro.

"Hey guys...I saw 'Tomb Raider' yesterday. We just happened to be near E-Square. Sorry...Couldnt call you guys!"

"Damn...I wanted to watch it.I want to see 'The Tuxedo'.Lets go tnite!!"

"Guys...that wont work." Pratap stated in his 'I know it all' tone.(You could also call it 'Kapil is screwed' tone)"You should happen to be there...10 minutes during the movie. You know what I mean , right?"

Now all the faces were staring at Pratap. I was waiting in anticipation for Satan's final move.

"And....This was Kapil's funda.I had offered to call"

Now all the faces are staring at me. Not very pleased. Checkmate.

Things have never been same since...Later they thought about my idea.Everybody loved it .Everyone still implements it. Frequency of 'I missed that one' has reduced.

Above all...Even now..everyone still blames it on me.

Thanks Pratap. Want to watch 'Anatomy of a Murder?'My treat.

No comments: