Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Woohoo...

Great Expectations. This one is not from Charles Dickens.I am sure he didnt go through such hardships which come from the rising expectations in these times.

While I savored the warmth of the coffee watching 'When Harry met Sally ' starring Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan, the girls started a conversation about how God has been unfair to the fairer sex. This was a bit surprising since we were watching 'When Harry met Sally' and not 'Maherchi Saadi'.

' We have to give our surnames away after marriage' - Kayatri , who has a single surname till date.

' You guys dont even need rest rooms on road-trips....Just hit the brakes after the slightest realization.' - Kepali , for whom rest rooms has always been an issue.If she had her way she would make specific changes to the male anatomy.

' Not to forget labour pains & a hell lot of complications..' - Kevika

' Do you guys have any problems which the girls didnt have ?' - Kadhika , the most formal of the lot asked me politely.

Note: These four questions were just written in this systematic order purely for the readers understanding , the way I heard it went as 'We...surnames(garbled ... garbled)...need ...brakes...girls...the slightest realization'. Also I suck in the creativity associated in coming out with nice fictitious names.

I was silent.'Agreed. Women go through a lot than guys do. God could have done better'.I thought to myself. Sighting no resistance from me we continued to watch the movie till the next 'relevant' topic came up . Suddenly, all the girls went 'Shooooo Sweet'. Did I miss anything ? Billy Crystal said 'When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible' & then Meg Ryan started crying (So did all my friends inspite of hearing it for the seventh time).

Just then it occured to me that God made it up to all the woman in a mysterious , very cruel way. The onus of coming up with the 'Will you marry me ?' line defeated all the rest room trips , name changes and other complications endured by the fairer sex.

The surprise factor is the biggest factor to this. I am supposed to come out with this golden line in unexpected circumstances. 'Unexpected' - How is a 'marriage proposal' unexpected after the two have already made plans to get married. You just get ONE chance to go down on your knees , say this magical line , get married and live happily ever after.( Talking about expectations , did I tell you this line should be better than Billy Crystal & Hugh Grant !!!?!?)

What women dont realise is both Billy Crystal & Hugh Grant got a careful script of what he was supposed to say and when. The script was probably written by Mills & Boon + 20 script writers from 'Paris School of Romance' . Meg Ryan , I am sure she didnt cry because of the line. (It could have been the 15 million dollars she was paid for it). Mainly if Billy goofed up ,he just has to ask for a retake & all the circumstances would be recreated.

If Charles Dickens had to propose in these times , he would have still come out with a bestseller under the name 'Stress 1.0'. Back in 6th standard at Loyolas , Mrs. Zacheris , our biology teacher was teaching us photosynthesis. She saw me talking & it irritated her. Going down on your knees in front of a crowd wasn't a big deal that time. No creativity. No drama. No expectations. Five times a week. Stressfree.

(To be continued...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Blog Comment Server is down.
Trying this one out.

K J said...

Critics Beware. This commenting allows deleting of comments.

Pratap said...

ahem....sir u might want to help me out too

Anuya said...

Pratap, that's what happens when the blogger admin is a woman =P